View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

I've been using 100 mg. R-lipoic since (roughly) the beginning of the year. As I understand it, my results are not typical, but I got complete relief from the burning pain in my feet (which was severe enough to keep me up nights and require gabapentin) within 48 hours. There were no other supplement changes within 60 days either way, though I just ordered some ALC and pantothenic acid (B-5) to try in conjunction (as I've read about).

I still have some numbness, sensitivity, and occasional (significantly reduced) "needle pricks" but the burning pain is gone unless I overdo, but even then it is very temporary, not requiring any further meds.

I'm using Country Life brand, but I have no biases either way - it was an economical choice (price + shipping + combining orders).

FWIW, I have also read that the sooner a PN patient starts on R-lipoic acid, the more beneficial/efficacious it is,
[RANT]
which is contrary to the neurologists I've been to, who have all said they might mention (but not recommend, as it is not in "their literature") it to patients for whom gabapentin et al do not work. By then.... who knows?
[/RANT]

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote