View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGI69 View Post
I'm really confused and would like your opinion

Went to my general doctor yesterday with what turned out to be trigeminal neuralgia. She put me on Neurontin. It was dulling the pain. Still had it but I was only on it for 24 hours. It was at least tolerable.

She sent me to a neuro, whom I saw today. He said Neurontin was not the best line of defense and put me on Baclofen. I'm back to severe pain (although he said it wouldn't help immediately)

Isn't Neurontin a nerve pain medicine and Baclofen a muscle relaxer? Isn't trigeminal neuralgia nerve related? Is Baclofen better than neurontin? Just doesn't make sense. I'm tempted to stop the Baclofen and go back to the Neurontin.

Another reason: pharmacist says not to take Baclofen with Zanaflex. Zanaflex does a good job with my spasticity. Baclofen isn't touching spasticity.

ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated
Yes baclofen is a muscle relaxer. It has a history of relieving TN pain. I'm not a pharmacist or doctor so I can't explain why, it just does.

In my experience with neurontin, I didn't get pain relief after only being on it for 24 hours. It takes time for the med to build up to a therapeutic level, up to a month. Everyone is different.

I've been using baclofen for several years. I also take it with zanaflex and I haven't had any trouble. I didn't get good pain relief with neurontin and while baclofen doesn't work optimally, it gives me better relief than the anticonvulsants I've used and more importantly for me, I can tolerate baclofen.

I hope this info helps you some.
EE03 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote