View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Response to Dejibo-sjogren's & MS

Hi
Thanks for your repoly. My rheumatologist thinks I have early sjogren's but from what I've researched this typically does not cause lesions in the periventricular space nor does lupus. I can't account for the falls from this either. Which is why I'm suspecting MS on top of the sjogren's.

May I ask how were you finally diagnosed with sjogren's syndrome? How did the MS come about and which one came first for you and what were your symptoms?

I appreciate it. I just want answers and to feel better and I can't see how if it were just the autoimmune all these meds I'm on : plaquenil, immuran, and prednison would not be controlling them. Another reason I feel there is another disease process going on.

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
Welcome!

First, breathe! just breathe! its a process, and one that can really wear you down. You are going to run into MDs that make you feel like a whiner, and MDs who make you feel like they really are going to try to figure it out, only to give up in six months. I went thru MDs like kleenex for a while.

There is a disease called Sjoghrens. it can mimic MS (including the lesions) it causes dry eye and dry mouth and dry organs. I have probably butchered the spelling, but a Rhume is the exact person you would be sent to for examination for that disease. I Have this AND MS. I have plugs in my tear ducts that prevent my tears from escaping my eyes, and that allows moisture to stay. I also use drops, and sometimes ointments.

There are more than 100 diseases that can mimic MS including the lesions, and mimic the symptoms like dragging a leg, damage to the optic nerve from being so dry, vitamin def, lupus, lyme...the list goes on. Sjoghrens is another rare disorder, but there are treatments for it. Overwhelming fatique, and other things can ride in the car with it.

Hang in there. Getting a firm MS diagnosis, or a firm turn away from our club house can take months, years, and in some cases decades. If you feel your MD is being dismissive, get a new one! MAke sure you get an appointment to an MS clinic (most need a referral) and allow the best of the best to sort it out. A rhum is a great idea! she can help "rule out" lyme, lupus, and sjoghrens and that will take 3 out of 100 off your Mds list of possible suspects.

Its tough to be sick and to not feel believed, but it sounds like your MD is sending you in the right direction.
littleflower70 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (08-21-2011), SallyC (08-21-2011)