View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default I could use some help:

We are starting to do a newsletter for my work.

I was in Charge of the committee that came up with everything
in this.

Now I tried to get out of the writing of the topics. Sorry can't exactly
explain better.

But I'm supposed to be writing about this.

Epilepsy: Seizures Disorders.

I can't remember exactly what the girl that suggested I write it suggested.

But I'm going to put here what I've written. Want some ideas if it sounds good. I have to figure out how to add words. heehee

My son started having seizures in 1st grade, the beginning of the seizures and epilepsy was very overwhelming for our family. But I started to learn exactly what a toll seizures and epilepsy would take on his learning as time went on. And with other students who have epilepsy, that have uncontrolled seizures. When they have more and more seizures in the days at school, home and other places it takes a stronger toll on them. It can be not only on behaviors, attendance, but in many cases you start to see a decline in other areas. Such as reading, comprehension, and math even IQ with my son, his dropped about 15 points.
Considering that it can take 2, 3, 4 or more medications to attempt to control seizures. Which we know that taking even 1 medication can cause concentration problems. So taking so many more at sometimes high dosages will affect the way they learn. It’s very hard for our students to understand after having been A and B student all the sudden falling down to C’s and D’s or just barely passing. Schools believe that if the student is still passing they don’t need to do anything.
But we as advocate’s and parents need to remember these are some of the Kids that are left on the side. It’s imperative to work through and find a plan for these kids. We as advocates need to know that students having seizures at school, they need a plan so that they can stay and learn. Being sent home is not the answer. Not being allowed to go to school because of seizures isn’t the answer. They may start to fall further behind, and need to learn differently. But they still have dreams, and can reach their dreams. It’s sometimes necessary to learn to reach their dreams in different ways. Sometimes changing what they are after. We as their advocates have to help their teams learn to dream with them in a different way. Such as if they wanted to be a Veterinarian, but now can’t or won’t be able to get a Diploma, maybe they will be a Veterinarian Assistant in the office. Doing things that are needed in the office, like cleaning, walking the animals, and all things that they are taught. Or say they wanted to be a Chef, but now they aren’t going to be able to use a stove. Maybe they can still do something in this area. If they can work with the ingredients, they can get things ready, and the other person put it in.

Donna
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (08-21-2011), BlueMajo (08-21-2011), OhKay (08-25-2011)