View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Angry Warning for Profonol for RSD & Chronic pain sufferers

Thanks Kitty, I've actually been on the same med at 30 mg every morning for the past 4 months yet the pain still comes.

At this point, I wish I'd never met a GI doctor. The pain still comes and goes and I'm scared to death the RSD is now spreading to my right hand, arm and shoulder since the Profonol was pushed through without pain meds last week.

My pain that had been down to 0 has been a steady 8 and I've spent the past week in my bedroom crying in pain. When the Profonol kicked in, I dropped dead weight down onto the exam table on my RSD side with 0 support from the staff. This is the worst pain I've had since before I went inpatient for Ketamine last November. I'm back on all pain meds I can possibly take & they're not even touching the pain. If I'm lucky, I occasionally get a 45 minute reprieve when they all peak at once.

I do have very small veins as the anesthesiologist noted which can make any medication burn more which I'm used to. But this was like nothing I've felt ever before in my life and that includes natural childbirth to 3 children and the pain that led me to the point of no longer wanting to live before I began Ketamine last year.

Small veins or not, no chronic pain patientt, especially an RSD patient should be given Profonol as an anesthesia without being given Versed or Fentanyl first. Another option you're against the pain meds is for them to di
Ute the Profonol with some Lidocaine and saline and inject it more slowly. It should NEVER be pushed in straight as it was done to me.

PLEASE make sure you always ask ahead of time what anesthesia you are being given, especially if it's a short procedure (Profonol is a favorite for short ones) and demand to be given Versed or Fentanyl (ask your PM doctor for his opinion first if he's not doing the procedure) and make sure they give it adequate time to work. You should feel like you had a few drinks by the time you get to the OR.

I hope this prevents someone else from going through the same thing because if there is a He'll, I swear my right arm was stuck in it for a few minutes. I though I did my time there with my Ex!

*****as for Topomax, I'm back on it at 300mg a day and once again, my stomach feels perfectly fine so I have no idea what's what but ifnit's Topomax, the only thing I'll say is it seems it acts up when there's a change in my eating habits, I have to fast for tests, I get viruses or I suddenly am eating a lot of new foods or go too low carb for awhile.

Hope you're all feeling better then me tonight.

Dawn
Reddawn600 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote