View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Heart Make the decision NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajunButterfly
I don't want her to suffer but I don't think I can see her put to sleep.
We've been through this twice, and will undoubtedly go through it again. My best advice/suggestion is this: Talk it over with spouse, family, & vet, and decide NOW when the time will be, based on some objective criteria. For example, when our first began to deteriorate, we decided it would be time when she could no longer make it up the two steps to get into the house (she was too big for either of us to carry several times a day). She was already pretty far gone when this happened, and we have never regretted the decision or the method.

It will likely never be an easy decision, but if you decide on some criterion, the decision will essentially already be made, and you will be following through on everyone's best judgment while calm heads still prevail.

Every veterinarian I know agrees with this suggestion. It's tough for them with their own pets as well.

Best wishes,

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BlueCarGal (08-23-2011), KajunButterfly (08-23-2011), Kitty (08-23-2011)