View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ Since obviously you had "open" surgery, and not the minimally invasive, you're going to have a longer healing time. I've had 2 'open' surgeries, and it took a good long while before the back started to feel better.

Unfortunately, my leg never "healed." After 25 years, I still have the sciatica. The surgery didn't help that at all and now it's permanent. This isn't the "norm" tho -- usually the leg pain will subside.

After you've healed completely, your doc SHOULD send you to physical therapy, where you will learn some gentle stretches & exercises that will help the leg pain and also strengthen your back muscles so you won't tend to herniate anymore. Ask your doc when you should start going to PT. It will really help.

Best of luck -- just be patient. I know it's hard. God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote