View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Thumbs down Oh the Magnets the Magnets......

Gotta hand it to some out there who make claims and then "try" to intimidate or frighten consumers into holding onto something that just is not RIGHT for them, even when disclosure is made to the seller. We who engage in such business have been variously characterized as snake oil sales people, hucksters, shell gamers, and the like. Every district attorney's office of which I am aware has a division dedicated to protecting the consuming public against fraud, and if in a particular state or territory the district attorney is not the proper venue for complaint, then the office of the state or territory attorney general nearly always has such a staff as well.

So then, we get to the nub of the matter, the fact that disclosure was made by your spouse to the sales rep regarding your spinal cord stimulation implant. Do, by ALL MEANS DO, remember each of us so blessed with a component of the Borg Collective [to borrow a sci fi hit reference] carries at the very least a CARD for our wallet or purse which declares in no uncertain terms we are forbidden to submit to MRI. I finally even obtained a bracelet to declare to the world NO MRI and on the reverse side CARD IN WALLET. Why did I do this? Why bother? Oh, well, it has something only slightly to do with magnetism. You see, Magnetic Resonance Imaging is of such strength as to literally rip the blessed little devices out of those sensitive places such as the spinal cord space in the vertebral column while also removing the very computer and battery upon which our pain management program depends...... magnetism. MAGNETISM.

So, I would tend to side with the group developing here recommending a sound doctor's, YOUR Doctor's, opinion whether magnetic devices, coverlets, blankets, mattresses, acupressure pads, or any other such item be allowed near you. Truly, we live on a world, in a solar system, within a galaxy all of which is influenced the slightest little bit by magnetism, orbital mechanics and the like. We may use an electric mixer on the kitchen cabinet, which mixer is in itself an electromagneto drive controlled by the amount of current applied. BUT, the question becomes do we want to apply those forces directly to our bodies contrary to the instructions of our cards. Is there a sliding scale or a continuum at work here which allows some magnetism but not a lot. Doctors and company reps may opine well on this. As for me, I will not apply a magnetic disc drive eraser to my backside just to see whether it harms my SCS works or not..... nope, not gonna go there. Will I sleep on a mattress which is magnetized..... I think not. Am I a wuss? Well, I dare anyone to step up to my face and utter those words...... Nuff said? Probably way too much.

Next paragraph- In most states and in federal circles there are laws which require for the sake of consumer protection a [pardon the pun] "sleep on it" clause which allows the consumer a period of time to back out of a significant financial transaction. Think of the last time you took out a loan secured by a mortgage or the last time you bought a car. There may well be language to such effect buried deeply in the whole of the document or documents your well meaning and absolutely well intentioned husband may have signed. If so, the language may allow a walk away very easily.... that is, if it has not been too long since the dotted line was signed. If this is the case, re-read the first paragraph. Agressive sales reps informed of your condition who render medical opinions make very good material for a consumer protection agency program....... get the idea?

As for me, I am still trying to figure out... which way is North? A compass, a compass, dare I ever hold a compass?

Mark56

P.S. While JB63 makes a wonderful contribution pertinent to the use of magnetism to deactivate pacemakers and such, I do remember magnets have been used in business many a time to ERASE a computer drive, reorganizing all of the data lines in a manner such as reformatting. One must wonder whether such magnet proximity although of low power over time might detrimentally affect the computer component of the SCS device in the hip or wherever the pocket for the unit may be located.
Mark56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rrae (08-24-2011)