View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
from your My documents file- where you had copied them to from the flash drive onto the new pc.

[So I should put Alan's stuff in the My Documents folder on the new computer?] yes.

We can always take you thru it when the time comes.

If the files came from the old pc - My documents - then they go back to My documents on the new pc.
Got a GOOD ONE for you!!!

I wanted to copy the contents of the MY DOCUMENTS folder onto the Flash drive. I thought I would be copying DOCUMENTS. You know, my microsoft word documents and my wordpad documents.

Well!!! I do the copy and paste into the Flash Drive and it's showing me that it's copying and I see the minutes that it is indicating and it goes from 27 to 52 to (changing every second). I said "okay, it's supposed to do that"

Then, because it is showing me what it is copying, I see "my pictures, all the jpegs, etc, and lots of other stuff being copied.

I said outloud: "why is it copying the my pictures folder?"

Then after about 10 minutes it tells me 'your flashdrive is full, insert another flash drive"

So here's what I want to know.

If I plug in my flash drive and I click on the My Documents folder that has just been copied (but that it can't contain EVERYTHING), what exactly is there?

Half of my "my documents" folder???

I'm going to check it anyway, but all I really wanted were the DOCUMENTS, not the other stuff.

I gather I need to get another flash drive?

Should I get a 8 gig one this time? I now have a 4 gig one.

Questions, questions.

And we had an earthquake here so NO WONDER I HAVE QUESTIONS.

lol
Melody

P.S. I just went into the Flash drive and opened up the My Documents folder. I saw the "my pictures", "my videos", "my music" and "downloads"

so I just learned that the My Documents folder has all these other things besides documents.

I then deleted all nonsense from this folder. So now I have what I want when I want to copy the contents of the Flash Drive's MY Documents folder.

I when I get the new computer, I simply copy the My Documents Folder from the Flash drive, and I paste it into the My Documents Folder on the hard drive right?

Will I be prompted with : 'Do you want to replace the My Documents folder?"

or will it just copy the contents into the My Documents folder on the new PC?

Thanks VERY much.

You're very patient and I thank you heartily

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote