View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pain in other teeth after extraction

Hello - I had a root canal in tooth #15 4 months ago. When a dentist when in to do a new filling, sje said it was too deep and sent me straight to an endodontist ,who did the root canal. Since that day, I had pain when biting on that tooth. Permanent crown did not help. Shaving it down so it was out of occlusion only helped until the tooth started moving down again and could be bit upon. There was only pain on biting. After a CT (no abscess) and several rounds of antibiotics, the tooth was extracted by an oral surgeon last week on the assumption that it had a micro-fracture which could not be seen on xray. Regular dentist x-rayed the other upper left teeth right before and found no problems with them. She did see inflammation of the PDL around the bad tooth.

When the tooth came out, there was no "obvious fracture" but a long dark line running the vertical length of the tooth, which the oral surgeon said was probably a "micro-fracture." It was a simple extraction - tooth out in about 2 minutes, no digging. The extraction socket still has the clot and is healing, i do saline or peridex rinses several times a day.

However (and here's the problem), since the extraction, i have sensitivity/some pain when biting on all the other teeth in the upper left. Oral surgeon said it may be PDL inflammation, normal surgery trauma, etc and give it time. if it doesnt improve in time, he said I may need to see a neuro @ possible nerve damage from the root canal. I have a history of sinus infections, but am on a 2-wk course of clindamycin.

Sorry for the long story. The question: Is it normal to have biting pain in the neighboring teeth a week following an extraction?

Thanks much-
prwier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote