View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi - thank you for the reply, excellent explanation.

If the pain doesn't go away in a few weeks, what might be wrong (and more importantly, how might it be fixed)?

After the root canal, that tooth hurt when biting or even when pushing up on it with a finger or tongue. The pain in the other upper left teeth is different now; not painful with a tongue push, but painful when biting down (gently or hard) against the lower teeth. If i bite just the right way, the pain seems to shoot up my cheek towards the eye. Does that suggest anything in particular? Or do I really need to "wait it out"?

Also, I had a baby 5 months ago (right before the root canal) and am still nursing. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything, but thought I'd let you know so you have more of the picture. I also had shingles about 1.5 months ago over the right (other side) eye, that was treated with antivirals.

When it rains, it pours.

Thanks much-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi prwier,

The simple answer is yes. It is common to have pain in teeth adjacent to the extracted one for several days to a few weeks post op. If it goes on longer than that or you develop a fever, then you would need to be re-evaluated.

To offer you a peek into the big picture based on your description.....

Tooth #15 was not healthy due to the deep cavity. You may or may not have had symptoms from that cavity but all cavities are small to large infections within the tooth structure. The decay causes inflammation and irritation not only to that one tooth but to the nerves that are shared by all of the teeth in that quadrant. It's like having an infected splinter in your finger....... before you know it, the whole finger, even the hand hurts.

In addition to the cavity, drilling into a tooth as well as doing the root canal procedure will always cause trauma and inflammation. FYI... when the PDL is inflammed or widened (PDL is the periodontal ligament), this indicates that the tooth is severely traumatized and/or infection is brewing. So not only had this tooth been overly traumatized but the surrounding area and teeth were feeling the affects of all of this work as well. Take it one step further and extract the tooth.... more trauma to the surrounding nerves and blood vessels.

Unfortunately, this is the chance we take when we get a cavity... that's why it's a good idea to have them fixed when they are small. Sometimes we don't even know we have a cavity until it hurts... so we depend on our dentist to diagnose them at the onset. I'm hoping I have explained this ok......does that make sense to you?

Bryanna
prwier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote