View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 02:17 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlacanel View Post
"Social Security is for people with substantial work histories, and monthly disability payments average $927. Supplemental Security Income does not require a work history but it has strict limits on income and assets. Monthly SSI payments average $500."

I paid into Social Security for 32 years before I became disabled and then there are people who have never worked drawing out of the same account and there is no money. How did the well go dry?

If you worked for 32 years before becoming disabled you should be collecting SSDI, with a possible SSI add on if your income from SSDI was very low.

People who have never worked would just be getting SSI.....umless they became disabled before they were adults then they could qualify for SSDI under their parent's work history.

Do you know of specific examples of someone on SSI making the same amount as you ?

The well isn't dry.....yet ! The problem is the system is designed to have current workers support those who can't work (due to disability or age, including SSDI and SS). It's all predictable as far as SS and works if the population stays the same. SS is in trouble because current generations have less kids on average than in the past AND because we are living longer. SSDI is in trouble because a larger segment of the population is disabled (or claiming to be).

I agree with Gary that all worker's should pay SS on ALL wages, not just up to the current cap of $106K a year (that may not be current, but it's close).....we just have to remember those people will then be eligible for much higher benefits when they are disabled or retire.

I also think bumping the retirement age up again is reasonable.

I also believe there should be changes to benefits for divorced spouses. I believe the system was designed to accommodate the stay at home spouse of a wage earner if they divorce and that spouse doesn't have the time to build up their own work history. I think if you had a very lengthy marriage that is very reasonable. I think it's crazy that there could be a high earning person with 5 or 6 marriages lasting 10 years and all of those ex's get to collect on that one wage earner's benefit.....even if they remarry.

Critics could say I should have no say because none of the changes I just suggested would affect me personally All of the changes that are possible to help keep SS and SSDI solvent will adversely affect some groups.....and I understand that they will most likely be resentful about that.

Singling out one group, the extremely wealthy......I don't think there are many people out there like Warren Buffett who are saying, "You know what, I should be taxed more."

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote