View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I only keep in touch with a few people out of the big group I used to consider my friends.

Lynn is right. Most folks are self-absorbed. I hate to think I was ever like that before MS entered my life. I feel fortunate to have been given a huge eye-opener because of my dx.

If I ask someone how they are I really want to know. It's not just a formality. If I didn't want to know I wouldn't have asked. I just wish others would do the same.

Surprisingly enough the one person who asks me how I'm doing and truly wants to know is the cashier at the Publix I go to. I'll stand in her line even if there are shorter lines available. I ask her how she's doing and wait to hear. I listen to her and she does the same for me. She remembers that I need to hold onto the buggy because of my balance and will remind the baggers to let me push the buggy to my car. Some of the baggers are starting to remember, too. I know it's a small thing but it touches me to know that these folks take the time to notice. Most people are just too involved with their own problems and issues but ultimately they are the ones missing out. They really are.

Focus on those people who make an effort to keep in touch with you and know how you're doing. Like me, you might find that it's just a couple of folks. But it's easier for me to keep up with a couple of people than it is a large group.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (08-25-2011), Dejibo (08-25-2011), DVORA65 (09-04-2011), hollym (08-29-2011), Jodylee (08-26-2011), nemsmom (09-16-2011), NeuroNixed Craig (08-26-2011), SallyC (08-25-2011), TwoKidsTwoCats (08-25-2011), viseeu (08-25-2011)