View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 03:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi - thanks for the reply.

Good suggestion, I will try avoiding that side altogether. Which isn't difficult on a primarily liquid diet. That tooth was very close to the sinuses, but the oral surgeon said that there was no perforation; his explanation was that there is never perforation or exposure with a simple extraction (yank only, no digging). Is that true?

I am on 2 weeks of clindamycin on advice from my regular sinus doctor, she tells me that this would cover any leftover gum/socket infection as well... true? is there a better choice of antibiotic that would cover both teeth and sinuses (and safe for nursing)?

As to the bite.. all adjustments were done by filing down the crown, which was removed along with the tooth. However, my teeth come together oddly on that side - very poor bite. if we think that's a factor, I can ask my dentist to take a look in a month or so after the calming-down time.

Thank you-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi prwier,

Congratulations on your new baby!!

Time and dissipation of symptoms would indicate that the pain is linked to the trauma and inflammation. If the pain gets worse or starts all by itself without chewing, then the teeth would have to be re-evaluated. The fact that #15 hurt after the root canal could indicate a fractured tooth, however, it is common for root canal teeth to hurt to some degree because they are inflamed and infected. So those symptoms are typical.

The shooting pain can be indicative of a nerve issue or sinus inflammation. That tooth may have been very close to you sinuses. If so, then that has to heal also. Was there any mention of a sinus exposure or perforation??

I would suggest that you try not to bite or chew on that side of your mouth for a week or so. See if that helps at all. That entire quadrant is upset and chewing on those teeth may be adding insult to injury.

Just a thought.........has your dentist checked your bite to see if you are hitting on that side more so than the right side? I ask that question because you had a crown placed on #15 and had some additional bite adjustments to try and ease up the bite on that crown. Perhaps the dentist adjusted the bite to fit that crown and now that the tooth is gone, the bite may be off. If that's the case, then you would have pain when chewing on that side and another bite adjustment may be helpful. He could check the occlusion very easily to tell if that is a problem or not.

I wish I could be more specific... but I would refrain from eating on that side and also see the dentist to check the bite. Then give it a few weeks to calm down... if it gets worse in that time frame, see your dentist for further evaluation.

Hope that was helpful!

Please keep in touch.......
Bryanna
prwier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote