View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

"What a Wonderful World", by Louis Armstrong.

I'd always loved Armstrong's version of the song, but back in 2001, I was working at a WalMart. When September 11th happened, my manager asked me to sit at the front of the store and crochet patriotic pins out of red, white, and blue yarn (we'd run out of patriotic ribbon a few hours after the attacks happened) and sell them for donations to the Red Cross.

I was really kind of depressed about the attacks...kind of disgusted that there were people in the world that hated so much that they could do what happened that day. It really affected me, even here in the middle of the country. The 2nd day that I was sitting there, crocheting those pins, the song "What a Wonderful World" started playing while I was sitting there, with a line of people buying those pins. I had several people give me rather large checks or piles of cash. That song started to play, and I realized I was actually doing something to help. (raised over $3k, and WM matched the donations that we got from my crocheted pins. I dont have a good opinion of WalMart for a few reasons, but I can say that they're at least good at giving charity)

Every time I hear that song, it reminds me of September 11th, but not all the sadness. It reminds me that not everyone in the world is like the <really bad swear words> who crashed those planes.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (08-26-2011), DVORA65 (08-28-2011), ewizabeth (08-25-2011), Jodylee (08-26-2011), Kitt (08-26-2011), Kitty (08-26-2011), SallyC (08-25-2011)