View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 09:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Does anyone know if social services have the right to take my son away because of my depression, despair, and sadness? Or should I go into hiding with my son? I will never, ever let anyone take my son away from me.

When a child is taken away from his mother, how is it done? By cops? What if the mother does not let go of her child? What happens?

Hi Kitty,

Oh just let me get started about social services/Child Protective Services (CPS)

First, I have my masters in social work and practiced for 20 years and know the CPS system, well at least what by law it ought to be.

I don't know how CPS works in Polynesia.

I did have my child taken from me. Thankfully she is back but it took over 3 years. There had been no charges against me, no allegations of abuse, nothing. She was removed by CPS from her father who was sexually abusing her. Silly me, I was honest with the workers, told them I had depression and had attempted but had been in treatment since. They refused to place her with me because there was a vacated order of protection that the X was granted when I was in the hospital. The order did not list any other reason for there to be a suspicion that I would harm my child, only that I had attempted suicide. The order was vacated! They placed her in 5 foster homes. Father just lawyered up and after not complying with CPS and not having had any contact with her for nearly 2 years, the judge dismissed the case and told CPS they had 2 hours to produce the child and return to the father. He of course hid her from me and it took another 6 weeks to get visitation ordered. He was still abusing her but now she was verbal, she told me I took her to the ER and she told them. She was removed again and placed with my parents. I had to leave the house (I live with them) and then prove that I had left (give a motel receipt). Again, they asked me to get a note from my shrink saying that I was stable and able to care for my child, which I did, then they placed her with me. She was still a ward of the state and I was not her gaurdian. This went on for another almost 2 years. We were waiting for trial of the father and the judge to place her permenently with me. We never did go to trial, he plea bargained letting me have full custody and he has no contact. Imagine that! After all that time, they wouldn't place her with me but they let the plea bargain of a pervert decide to give her to me.

OK, enough of that, sorry, it just gets me stirred up and there is so much craziness about CPS that I haven't even mentioned.

So, yes they can take your child in the US. They will do it with police back up. However, in the US if you never let them in your house and they have no access to your child, such as when the child visits the other parent or goes to school (yes they interview your kid at school without your knowledge or consent) they can't come up with a case against you. If they show up at the door, slam the door and call your lawyer.

I don't think you need to go into hiding. When I worked as a social worker, I assessed thousands of suicidal mothers and fathers. Never did I think that their kids were at risk. Never did I call CPS. Nor did any of my colleagues. Shrinks and all docs HATE calling CPS and unlikely to call you in because you are suicidal.Honestly, your safest move is to stay put and not let them in your house period.

Hope this helps
Free Kittens
Free Kittens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (08-27-2011), Alffe (08-27-2011), barbo (08-27-2011)