View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I taught myself to crochet with my eyes closed years ago. I'd probably still be able to crochet if I lost my sight...maybe even knit as long as it's just garter stitch. Still, it would be so boring and depressing to do either if I cant see the color of the yarn. When I had optic neuritis in 2006, I barely did any crocheting because my color vision was so screwed up. I could still see out of one eye, but because the other eye's color vision was wonky, it messed up the color vision in my good eye.

I knitted because it was new to me (learned it the week I developed optic neuritis) but it wasnt very fun because I couldnt see the colors very well. Apparently seeing color is really important to me. (so glad that recovered when the ON cleared up) I guess I'd have to start looking at yarn textures if I couldnt see color. I'd have to find yarn that's really interesting...only problem is that my fingers are numb at times, so that might not work either.

knocking on wood that I wont have to worry about such things for a long time.

I hope that you can figure out something to do that keeps you from being bored.

Not sure if this helps, but have you thought about learning Braille? I taught myself the Braille alphabet when I was little. Had a weird fascination with sign language and Braille back then. I probably wouldnt remember how to read the Braille alphabet now tho. I'm half considering getting myself a Braille primer to see if I can teach myself to read it. (again, numb fingers would probably screw up that plan)

Is there anything else crafty that you can do without being able to see? I know blind people can still knit and crochet, have you tried doing anything simple like a dishcloth to see if you can do it? Even if it's just garter stitch?

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote