View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 12:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default steroid

Traveling with cats is stressful? lol I had a cat for 17 years who enjoyed traveling because she learned she was likely going to my parents farm where she could catch mice. I live in an arid part of the state and unfortunately she was not able to learn that there were still 80 miles left to travel after we entered the forest. As soon as she smelled or saw the pine trees she made it well known it was time to be there as far as she was concerned.

Its a fluorinated steroid inhaler, I've recently read that fluorinated types are more likely to be associated with myopathies. Its used in combination in Advair for COPD and alone as Flovent for asthma treatment, I couldn't tolerate Advair so have taken it separately for nearly 7 years. I've heard some suggestions it is less likely to cause problems in combination but I really don't know. The dose I was on wasn't particularly high but my body apparently didn't know that.

I don't remember what they were but I did take two of the quinolone antibiotics before I had surgery, I'm not sure what they gave me in the hospital. I got the tendon thing from one but the only neurological effect I noticed was that they made me twitch as I was falling asleep. If I had any neuropathy symptoms they were so mild I didn't notice them, it was at least two years after taking them that I began to have problems.

The only mention of neuropathy in the drug info for this is that it can occasionally cause a cortisol deficit and Churgg Strauss vasculitis. I've had a few episodes recently of fairly severe pain down the back of my legs that feels like it could be vascular but I don't know if it really was. I have found a few instances of neuropathy in some of the sites that report patient complaints. I have to laugh (in a grim sort of way), the literature states post marketing reports have seen' muscle pain, stiffness/rigidity/tightness.' I noticed my neck hurt less on a lower dose and then found several people in asthma sites who had discontinued it for that reason. I've been fighting that issue for 4 years and had no idea the med was be involved.

I don't think I have shingles, its pretty black and white..more med=more pain and less med=less pain. I'm currently taking 1/2 the dose that is prescribed for asthmatic children, I thought I was going to be able to get by on that but today has not been a good day and it may be accumulating again in my system or something. You once mentioned in a post that your pn made your carpel tunnel hurt sometimes. I've had mild carpel tunnel for 20 years that has not particularly bothered me until the past 2 and that seems drug related as well. I'm not sure which one is affecting it or both, it feels like the nerve gets irritated and swells, I get pain in my wrist and shooting pains down my fingers. I notice that in the ulnar nerve too, my 4th and 5th fingers get numb and tingle and there are shooting pains. Its better now but still there. Have had pain in the sural nerve that runs down the back of your leg and curves around the ankle bone for years, I don't have that anymore on a lower dose. My feet don't burn nearly as much as they did but I still have some that extends up my leg in a sock. I had none when I stopped the drug.

I have some weakness in my legs but its most noticeable in my arms, early this summer on a higher dose my hands felt like gloves full of sand tacked onto boards and it was hard to raise my arms. That's better but I still have a little weakness.

I'm being treated for ulcers but at its worst the pain sure felt like a neuropathy type, same type of burning as my feet with little 'knife slices' more than an acidic pain, I have no idea if that's a typical ulcer pain. I had some gastroparesis but that's better with the Zantac.

Sorry this is long, wish I still had my cat, sleep well Fuzzy.
Zygo
zygopetalum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote