View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am similarly accident prone, following or pre-dating concussions in rugby and skiing.

It is so frustrating and can be very disheartening, though do think you can reduce, if never eliminate the risk of hitting your head, through learned safety behaviour.

Being mindful and slowing down really help. Good posture also makes you more aware and helps confidence as well.

Think confidence can be key, if you think you are clumsy or are anxious about being hit in the head, then you are likely to be less aware of what is going on around you. Is a Catch 22 though.

Fortunately many accidents can be avoided. Arguably accidents is a misleading term, as it implies a lack of control and that it is something happening to you.

Whilst we are unable to control what others do- risk will always be there- you can improve the percentages of being hurt and reduce the risk.

Unsure about stopping activities that you enjoy to avoid bumping your head. Think it can make it harder to accept bumping your head when it does happen as it has been something that you are trying so hard to avoid. That said, fully appreciate the rationale and there are definitely cases where medically it makes sense.

I agree with Mark that bumps happen or have happened to most people at some point.

So aside from trying to reduce their occurrence, the other side, for me, is trying to accept, what can seem unacceptable, that I have hit my head and then react in a positive way; namely by rejecting the cycle of negative thoughts, full of all the possible consequences of hitting your head and doing something I'm good at to build my confidence again and give me belief that I am ok.

Ultimately, I guess, the aim to see bumps to head (where it has been confirmed as nothing more) as an annoyance/ or temporary inconvenience, but not some kind of sentence that prevents you fulfilling what you want to do.
Xandar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote