View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I am enjoying the ideas shared here for small gardens.

For those who don't have creative access to a dump like Koala has (lucky for her)... this type of container is available at most Home Depots and Lowe's here in US.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...od_ID=RP091418

We have used these for years to shlep heavy stuff back and forth upNorth and on the boats in rainy weather. They were marketed long before the newer see thru type, and they are flexible and so we continue with them. I have seen them used for growing flowers and tomatoes in small areas, with drainage holes in the bottom. You have to punch the holes yourself, and I'd suggest 2-3 inches of gravel at the bottom before using the new Moisture control Miracle Grow Potting soil. This Miracle grow product is just fantastic and good for any container gardening. After the first season you will need to provide some long acting pelleted fertilizer once every 3 months or so.

I haven't seen the totes in green much anymore like our old ones, but there are tan ones, which are easy on the eyes.

Botanical interests catalog has a page in it with a book recommendation for creative container gardening. You can request this interesting catalog for free, where they sell Heirloom rare seed types here:
http://www.botanicalinterests.com/

This company is fascinating and any gardener will enjoy this catalog I predict! My catalog is floating around here somewhere, but I can't scare it up quickly now. I bought some Chinese Garlic Chives from them this spring, and the seeds were very vigorous with almost 100% germination. High quality.
The catalog has interesting articles and really unusual things in it.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-30-2011), Koala77 (08-30-2011), Lara (09-01-2011), Vonn07 (09-02-2011)