View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 08:17 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What are your symptoms? Definitely autoimmune disorders can cause neuropathy! The most common that I know of (tho I don't know numbers) would be multiple sclerosis. I'm here searching for information on Hashimoto's encephalopathy...... Any antibody that targets proteins in the brain could cause problems.

And yes, for whatever reason, my understanding is that people with autoantibodies are at higher risk of having other autoimmune problems. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's as a teenager. As an adult, I had a miscarriage and through subsequent research, discovered that I was at higher risk for autoimmune problems. I *forced* my doc to do testing, and sure enough, I had others including antiphospholipid antibodies, which can......drum roll.....cause miscarriages.

For what it's worth, about nine years ago, I had severe neurological problems that the docs were almost positive was due to MS (after ruling out antiphospholipid Ab-mediated stroke), but I never tested positive. So my neurological problems, including both central and peripheral symptoms, were caused by something but NOT MS. So don't be afraid of testing because if it *is* something serious, and you can be treated; if it's not MS, then you try to find the problem for treatment. Good luck!
Friedbrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ItsWonderfulLife (09-13-2011)