Thread: Hashimotos
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Are your antibody levels still elevated after years on synthroid/replacement? I was diagnosed in high school and on synthroid for a few decades. Over the last nine years, I've had a lot of neurological problems and medications have been added and adjusted as needed. At one point, a doc re-tested my autoantibodies and I was positive for the thyroid antibodies. I was just reading again about Hashimoto's and it said that antibodies may be positive for a while after starting treatment.......but how long?

This goes to the heart of why I'm here.....trying to understand Hashimoto's encephalopathy. If I'm on replacement hormone, does my body stop attacking the thyroid? Even if I have circulating Abs? Or, if I do have an active immune reaction going on, what are the symptoms?

And I'm researching this concept of "Storm", which I'd never heard of before. If I'm on replacement but a big stressor comes along (like MOVING across the country), could my body push the thyroid to respond? And what would the consequences be?

I had a lot of energy (surprisingly) to deal with the move, and was on overdrive for about three weeks.....lost 10 lbs without working out over about a month's time (could be from moving in the heat, or from my body malfunctioning, don't know). Then I suddenly had trouble sleeping for about five nights, was up for HOURS sweating every night. And then I crashed. Couldn't get out of bed, no energy, stopped losing weight....

I have "adrenal insufficiency", too, so I thought it was that, but since the thyroid deals with metabolism, could it have been the thyroid? Gah, too many malfunctioning parts of me!
Friedbrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (09-02-2011)