View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlek View Post
But, I wasn't 'stupid' during the whole process! 1- what set off your immune response? Especially at such a young age? I gather you are into some atheletics? Did you do something there that set stuff off?
- j
Curious why you ask this. I've never heard of anyone pinpointing an origin to Hashimoto's, but I have wondered about this.

I was a gymnast throughout childhood, to the point where I was working out five or more days a week. When you exercise that much, your body responds by inhibiting other normal processes-most obvious is the maturation process. In high school, I attended a two week summer gymnastics camp which was intense. When I came home, my knees wouldn't even hold me up. The abuse on them had been so great that they were kaput. I had to wear knee braces and accept that I was too old (and I was a normal 5'5", not a little pipsqueak like they are these days) and big to keep it up. I had to quit. So, in the space of a few weeks, I went from intense exercise to being in knee braces and nothing.

That happened right before I started 10th grade.....and when I started school, I was falling asleep in class and sleeping in the nurse's office on a daily basis. Finally, she decided something was wrong and took it to my mom....which eventually resulted in the Hashimoto's diagnosis.

I've always wondered if it was the screeching halt of my activity that somehow set off the immune response, like my body was attacking my thyroid to make it shut down to become more in line with my new activity level (of almost nothing, in comparison).

Anyway, that's my story I was awfully young to be diagnosed with Hashimoto's, so it would make sense that there was somthing that set it off.
Friedbrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote