View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 02:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Another question about B-12 or what auto-immune disease can do to your gut....

After my second child was born 15 years ago, I got depressed, was found to have Hashimoto's....and began to get lactose intolerant, "out of the blue."

Until recently, I just took a Lactaid pill with dairy and I was fine.

But in the past few months, the lactose intolerance is beginning to become a huge problem. Even if I take 1 or 2 Lactaid Ultra pills, some dairy foods still give me a problem with gas, bloating, and very embarrassing very foul smelling wind, like an awful sewer! It is disgusting. It's as if I didn't even take the Lactaid pills. I have had to totally avoid dairy for several days to calm it down when it gets bad.

I drink Lactaid milk and that's OK for me (a little in my decaf or cereal....I don't guzzle it). I know that soft cheeses are worse, and that dairy foods low in fat are worse, so I try to avoid those.

Can B-12 deficiency and/or auto-immune disease be causing this sudden increase in lactose intolerance?

I'm sure you guys might tell me to give up dairy, but I don't want to!

I wasn't this way when I was younger....never used to have any sort of problem with dairy before my daughter was born in 1996 and all hell broke loose in my body.

Oh, BTW, I had a colonoscopy last year (welcome to age 50) and was found to be squeaky clean, no problems whatsoever.
zeeclass6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote