View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default atypical TN...MVD on way

My TN conditions started when I was 19. I have the atypical TN with an unrelenting deep burning, boring pain throughout my gums, ear, throat, tounge, all on the left side of my head/face.. that is there from the moment I wake till the moment I sleep.

I got nothing positive to tell ya about TN...it took about 3 years for anyone to even diagnose me with atypical TN- after going through a handful of family docs, group of dentists, ear/nose/throat, orthodontist, TMJ expert...an oral surgeon finally sent me to a neurologist whom then diagnosed me. After an entire year of testing meds like tegretol/carbamezapine/oxcarbazepine, baclofen, amitriptyline, savella...all with almost no pain relief whatsoever, I was sent to the neuro-surgeon who wants to perform Micro-Vascular Decompression surgery, to relieve the pressure created by my blood vessel riding against the nerve.

My atypical TN is very much affected by foods. In fact most foods seem to make my TN flare up, especially coffee, potent onions, salts/peppers, spices, dark beers, ect... pretty much anything that will stimulate the nerves- which is almost everything. Hell, when I take a sip of ice cold water as soon as the liquid touches the back of my gums I feel a horrible sensation travel throughout my ear and down my throat.

TN has literally taken over my life the last 4 years. I am unable to continue college due to the pain making concentration and comprehension much more difficult, plus the meds are also a huge learning distraction as well. I'm currently on Lyrica 150mg twice daily...makes me a zombie but usually dulls the unrelenting pain, key word there is USUALLY. However its still not worth living this way... the pressure on left side of face is almost unbearable and messes with my ear/hearing a lot. aTN makes me depressed and moody... each day is a struggle. My MVD is scheduled for a month from now...I gotta admit it scares the hell out of me.
ipreferdosequis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote