View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 04:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Is this a seizure?

Hi all,

I'm new and trying to dig through the threads. I'm very confused with my condition and I guess just seeking support.

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia several years ago and have been treated with Lyrica and then Gabapentin for that. I started gaining weight on the Gabapentin, so my rheumatologist started weaning me off the Gabapentin to start amitriptyline. As soon as I started weaning, I started having strange spells. The best I can describe was severe dizziness, muscle weakness, strange tingling. It felt like a shock was going through my body. The best way I could describe it is I felt like I got unplugged for a few seconds. It's like a electric feeling of trying to switch channels. As the weaning of the Gabapentin went on these became stronger and more frequent.

I went to visit a neurologist and he said it may be migraines, so they upped the amitriptyline and to take 100mg of the gabapentin 3x/day. This was a week ago and have noticed zero difference. The last two days however, I mistakenly was taking my 300mg gabapentin instead of the 100mg. And amazingly started feeling a little better. Not perfect, but fewer of the strange episodes.

Do these sound like seizures? I will be going in for an EEG, but was curious since the Gabapentin seems to be the common theme for these spells. Also, is epilepsy just mean someone that has seizures or is it a disorder where you have seizures? Just trying to understand if there is a difference between having seizures and being defined as epilepsy.

Thanks for the help. I look forward to talking with you all and learning in this forum!
ellief is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote