View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenwings View Post
For SOME people, it IS overwhelming, and once their PAIN is managed, then it might be appropriate for them to seek some Counselling in order to learn different ways to cope with it. Out of this "group" of people, there MAY be a "sub-set" wherein an individual who has had pre-existing personality issues that need to be explored. Also, there may be, yet again, another "subset" , wherein and individual with RSD and pain had "developed" a psycholical disorder BECAUSE of the PAIN, and needs professional, psychological assistance.

However, there may be MANY RSD sufferers who have been psycholigically "healthy" BEFORE they got RSD/PAIN, and who REMAIN fairly psychogically healthy DESPITE the RSD and Pain...

So, my basic point being, I think it very unfair to "assume" that ALL RSD/Pain suffers AUTOMATICALLY will HAVE psychological "issues", or will DEVELOP psychological issues. EACH PERSON IS UNIQUE, and HANDLES THINGS DIFFERENTLY. RSD can be mild, moderate or severe, or varying degrees, and can also strike at varying ages, so these factors must be taken into consideration, as well.

I think the issue of when or IF psycholgical "issues" need to be formally addressed is more appropriate for EACH INDIVIDUAL patient and their Doctor to determine.

Brokenwings
I could not agree more - that the pain needs to be managed FIRST. You would never take someone who was screaming in pain because of a broken bone, severed limb, etc and attempt to reason with them and discuss/talk/etc with them about pain management. Would you send them to a "shrink" while they were in the midst of their worst pain? NO you wouldnt - you would get that pain under control and then talk with them about pain management, coping and what further you could do for them.

As far as psychologically healthy beings before their RSD my husband was one of them. He was/is still as positive as he can possibly be. We focus on laughing instead of crying. We focus on doing instead of letting things just happen to us, we are motivated individuals dispite the downside of this.

I can say he has recently had to go on anti-depressants (has never had to before even after the 1st round of RSD). The only reasons he had to this time was because 1. his other meds have lowered his endorphins - 2nd because dealing with a w/c issue has been extremely stressful - He is on the lowest dose possible but the psychological aspect set in AFTER he had been on the meds for a while and AFTER the insurance company started jacking with him and our finances.

So my point here is, is that I am COMPLETELY convinced that 999 out of 1000 (or awfully close to it) cases of RSD the psychological comes AFTER the RSD, not before - I believe as Brokenwings that you can not classify everyone who has RSD as someone having psych issues before the RSD - from what I've seen and read those problems generally come after - and it's no wonder why - most here have had to fight w/c, insurance companies, for meds, for SSI or SSD, have had Drs call them liars and fakers, fought to keep a roof over their heads, have received inadequate treatment and the list could go onnnnnnnnnn and onnnnnnnnnn. GEE - It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the psych issues come from.......

HubbyWithRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote