View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I too have an old wicker basket (no lining on mine tho) that I've kept for plants. Not sure what to plant into it yet, but maybe stawberries because it's quite big. It used to be my laundry basket until the handles unravelled.
I might punch holes down the sides and plant a strawberry runner into each hole

Don't forget hanging pots for your small space garden Vonn. You'd be surprised what you can plant into them. If you run out of ground space for them, you can get a stand with hooks on it to hang them from, or you could get a handy friend to make one for you. It only needs to be a basic design.

In your hanging pots you could try strawberries, or one of those lettuce varieties that you pick off the leaves as you want them rather than the iceberg type lettuces that take up so more space.... and herbs. Don't forget you can plant nearly all the herbs you might need into pots

I've had tomatoes in stand alone pots, but I haven't tried them in hanging pots yet. I have however seen a variety at the nursery that grows the fruit downward from a hanging pot, so that's another good idea.

I don't know what I did wrong this year with my seeds. I've had them in for well over the germination period, and not one has emerged.

Because it was the end of winter here when I planted them, and still cool outdoors, I planted them into indoor seed raising containers. My house temperature is set to 68/70, so the temperature should have been suitable.
I watered them every day and I kept them on the window sill, so they got enough water and plenty of light.

I had lettuce, tomato and coleus seeds. Any suggestions as to why they failed?

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (09-03-2011), Vonn07 (09-04-2011)