View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

If you want to save/backup/clone the whole xp system a much bigger flash drive is needed.

You got a new hard drive fairly recently right? last spring or so?

You might ask the computer guy if he partitioned it like the HP original drive was -with the XP OS recovery files on it or not?

Recovery disk info-
[This document pertains to HP or Compaq Desktop computers with Windows XP.
HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP and Compaq Presario Desktop computers made in spring of 2003 and later already come with a hidden preloaded recovery partition. This hidden partition can be used to recover all of the original software in the event of a major problem by pressing the F10 key repeatedly when the computer is first started. However, there might be times when recovery discs are needed to restore the computer, such as when a virus destroys the recovery partition. By using the Recovery CD-DVD Creator program, you can create a set of recovery discs to restore your computer back to its original condition.]
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bph08097

If no recovery files then I'd go to the HP site and see about ordering a cd or down loading the recovery files.
It is a legal copy for that computer - so it will be very handy to have if you ever want to do a format or complete fresh re install of the xp operating system. here- http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bph07143

Do Not Format until you get your recovery disks!!!
IF you format your drive and have no recovery disks available - you will have no xp system at all. FORMAT erases everything on the hard drive
Computer will be unusable until you instal some kind of operating system on to that hard drive.

If you buy a bigger flash drive be sure to ask the person if it is big enough to hold a complete backup or a cloned image of your system.

Just to be on the safe side before you do any changes get the recovery disks from HP- should be free /very low cost /maybe postage.
I ordered a set for an old compaq computer my son brought home and I was surprised at how easy it was to do and cheap- maybe 20.00??.
compared to having to buy a totally new operating system from a store or online.