View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 10:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Oral works the same. I don't believe much is absorbed sublingually. The tablet dissolves and you swallow that saliva and it then becomes ORAL.
I take mine as a sublingual. There are a few differences between oral and sublingual.

The tablet is placed under the tongue and kept there as long as possible letting it slowly dissolve. I can make a single 5000 mcg Jarrow Mb12 last about 30 minutes this way before it's completely dissolved. After it is dissolved, I wait another 30 minutes or so before drinking anything to allow for some additional absorbtion of the B12 into the tissue lining of my mouth and throat.

Avoid chewing or slurping down the tablet which is the same as taking it orally. Placing it under the tongue lets the B12 be directly absorbed by the blood stream. In theory, it is then easily absorbed by the body for immediate use.

Naturally, a sizeable portion of the tablet does get consumed orally anyway as it runs down into the throat to the stomach.

I believe one can achieve a faster rate of absorption for this method of administration than by purely oral use.

Tablets taken orally undergo the process of normal digestion. I'm almost paranoid regarding the ability of my digestive system to properly absorb B12 so I go the sublingual route knowing that part of the dosage passes through the blood stream to the brain.
karsten is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote