View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 03:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Blank

Dear Cindi -

Sadly, I've heard of too many places where a single trip to HR to complain about a boss sets someone up for outright retaliation if not termination based on completely spurious grounds. I'm with Pete, the matter should be handled as discretely as possible but through an attorney who is recognized for his/her work in representing plaintiff in employment litigation.

Unless your husband can be personally referred to someone with experience in the field, you may want to check out the Martindale-Hubbell search engine at http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawye...Law-Firms.aspx And if you use the search engine, I would look for attorneys in your area with ratings of "A-V" or "B-V" with a practice area including "Labor and Employment" and preferably a sub-specialty in "Employee Rights." An explanation of the ratings system can be found here http://www.martindale.com/Products_a...w_Ratings.aspx

The site is absolutely free. Martindale-Hubbell has been around for 140 years, primarily providing a publishing peer ratings of attorneys, so that a lawyer could simply consult a single set of books for the names, specialties and ratings of attorneys in every city/county in the country, should s/he need to find local co-counsel quickly. (The firm is now a division of the legal search engine giant Lexis-Nexis, which itself is a division of Reed Elsevier, a publicly traded European publisher, with headquarters in London and Amsterdam.)

And for what it's worth, as to your husband - the employee - it is my sense that it's not so much a matter of ADA violations or the like, as much as state-law based claims of a "hostile work environment," except to the extent your husband's manager has access to what should be your private insurance records, and is then broadcasting his distorted take on that information through the work site, in which case there may be federal claims for HIPPA violations which could then be asserted in your name. Dunno.

Good luck.

Mike
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hannah1234 (09-03-2011), SandyRI (09-03-2011), wswells (09-06-2011)