View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 09:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi! I agree with Jo that often a PT can find something with a thorough exam that a doc won't find in the office. My therapist knew I had neck issues long before I ever even had an MRI.

However, it is difficult to differentiate c-spine nerve issues with bp nerve issues...last spring I saw a neurosurgeon for a second opinion re: TOS surgery; we decided against the TOS surgery, but did go ahead with a cervical fusion C5-7. He said to me, "Maybe you don't even have TOS...maybe it's all coming from your neck." This was after two years of many doctors agreeing on the TOS dx, but this doc is a top-notch NS. Dr. Sanders even agreed that I should try the disk surgery first...after unsuccessfully attempting to get relief from about every possible injection. The surgery relieved a lot of the neck spasms I was having, which were getting much worse, as well as the cervicogenic headaches, but did NOT help with TOS symptoms at all.

I say this to show that even experts in the field can't always tell what's causing what. It really wasn't until after the surgery that I could know for sure the TOS was not cervical radiculopathy. I'm not sorry I had the fusion at all, because my neck is so much better...but, unfortunately, the TOS didn't go away. At least I don't have the neck pain along with the TOS anymore!

I think the ESI may be a reasonable treatment to try, as it certainly does help some people and is much less invasive than any of the surgeries. I hope you can find some answers, and your pain can be relieved!

Donna
Donna7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote