View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart

i am sorry about the personal impact this has had on you in the past.

i hear that you are angry at the writer, and think that "average readers" would understand more.

i took all sciences throughout highschool plus work on genetics in college. so i am definitely not the average reader. that given:

i personally think you too are above the average reader even if you only took 3 science classes, because
-- you're brighter than the average person if you'll permit me to say so.
-- based on your assertion about getting the X Y stuff, you remember genetics basics well - others do not.
-- still others have never taken ANY genetics!

SO... as i see it, you could probably wrap your brain around a good bit more info than most.

however, i personally did not find the article to be an insult to women or carelessly written insofar as the information presented. had it been written about something affecting men, i don't expect that the detail level would have been any different.

the researchers may not have a lot more information at this point since this is still just a theory and, as stated, a more recent one. also, as i read it, the other 2 theories have not been discarded. simply, none of this stuff has been proven. all three are theories.

in support of your criticism, his worst sin as a writer as i see it, was failure to offer "equal words for equal weight" - the genetic theory is BY FAR the shortest of the three explanations. that said, i am willing to excuse him on benefit of the doubt that further information/details would be WELL above the average reader's head (as in, waaaay past the X Y bit.)

See now i am wondering... do you have questions on what he said... as in, do you think he did not explain just the tidbit he did well enough? was it not clear? i assumed you understood it and wanted more but maybe i assumed wrong. i just looked back at your first post where you say "he should have asked a geneticist" (which is primarily what my previous post was addressing) ... then you say so we could have got an explanation "we could understand."

maybe i can help? maybe not.

i will shut up now and go hide in my corner..

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mari (09-03-2011)