View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 02:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default He's getting worse

We were in a massive car accident 20 months ago, and my husband suffered a concussion. He blacked out a few minutes after the accident happened, for several minutes, then talked repeating cycles nonstop for about an hour until they got him out and into the ambulance (what happened? I don't remember (we got hit) Are you okay (yes) is Daughter okay (yes) what happened, I don't remember (we got hit) are you okay (yes) is daughter okay (yes) what happened, I don't remember.....) He has no memory of accident or that hour afterwards, still. Stupid ER sent him home that night, tho he was barely functioning, next day he was going in and out of coherency and throwing up, so back to ER for six hours then sent home again.

PCS has been holding on since then. Doctor still has him leaving work an hour early each day (wanted 2hrs, but hubby refused). Sleep study showed no apnea, but diagnosed post-traumatic hypersomnia, basically excessive need for sleep from the injury.

Last few weeks, he has been getting worse and worse in terms of the post-concussion type symptoms. There is no active intelligent processing of anything said to him.
We are leaving house. Dog in crate is starting to flip out (fairly new dog), I say, do we ignore and just leave, or do we have to intervene? he says Maybe. Well, we are crossing the threshhold and closing the door, we either Do or Don't.
He is holding a dishpan with birdcage water troughs in it. We hear the power company trucks we have been waiting for coming up the road. He starts to run through the living room, around the furniture, still carrying the dishpan. He is struggling with getting the front doors open and through them, still carrying the dish pan. I have to yell at him, Put down the pan, before he looks at it in his hand and starts to put it down three different ways before letting go and continuing to run to the road to flag down the trucks.
We are cleaning things, and have two vacuums out and in use. He pulls down the airconditioner filter to vacuum it. It is cardboard and paper-type filter, and even has two small holes in it, it is an odd size, hard to find, and the only one we have right now. He takes it outside and starts BANGING it against the driveway. I yell at him to stop! what the frig are you doing? He says he wanted to knock the dust off it first. He stepped over TWO vacuums to go outside and start destroying the thing. Stuff like this goes on all the time.
He starts doing something, then stops halfway through to do something else, then stops halfway through to do something else, then stops....then complains that he has so much to do and still has to get back and finish the first thing he quit halfway through on. Nobody makes him stop, he does. And these are things like dumping water in the toilet tank to flush it (we were out of power from the hurricane) and putting away two small bags of groceries and getting a snack and taking the dog for a walk.....nothing long or major or earthshattering, just a few minutes of sticking to it.
He reasons things out and chooses the worst and most irrelevant things as first priority--the dog is crosslegged at the door begging to please get me outside and he'll say I'll take doggy out then I'll clean the kitchen then I'll put up a new roll of toilet paper then I'll get a drink then I'll watch that youtube video with son, no, I'll change my clothes first, no, I'll do the toilet paper first then I'll drink, then I'll take doggy out, no, I'll watch that video with son, then I'll clean the kitchen, then I'll do the toilet paper, then I'll take the dog out (who at this point is turning blue with need)....and I have to say TAKE THE DOG OUT ALREADY!!!!! And he gets mad at me for telling him what to do.

I have to watch him every single minute because you never know what he will be doing or where he will be putting things (we cannot find anything anymore) or when he will take off to the store because he thinks of one thing we need (and buy only the one thing, not any of the others we have been needing, or any of the other errands needing to be done in town) or when we will have a conversation and come to an agreement on the best plans for all involved, and then he just goes and does the first thought he'd had because he cannot unstick his head no matter how much he thinks or talks about something. I have multiple physical limitations from the accident, and cannot be up and doing and handling everything.

He is getting much worse these last few weeks. I have tried to tell him, but nothing goes in, nothing comes out, and he now won't do anything he's told because he's tired of being told, but he's really not functioning right at all. Our 13 year old son has started going along with him when he goes out to keep an eye on him; and "joining" in on projects out in the yard to keep him from doing something stupid. After 20 months post-concussion, I know that things may still not have gotten better, but I didn't think at this point they should be getting so obviously worse. He has a neurologist appointment in a week or two, I'm planning on going along as usual, but he's going to think I'm ambushing him when I tell the doc what I'm seeing, because he's just not getting it what I've been trying to tell him lately.

At this long after the initial injury, is this kind of regression okay? Or is there likely something else going wrong? I have so many medical issues and limits and problems of my own to deal with, and the kids, and the house, and the bills and our totally blown budget, and him, and now he's getting worse, and I just cannot fathom having to deal with this, like this, for the rest of my life.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote