View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default DBS Reply to Laura

Dear Laura;

Thank you for your reply, and yes, I had various brain scans done prior to the implant of the leads. Afterward, at the onset of the new developments, the neurologist ordered another scan to double check the placement of the leads and the neurosurgeon confirmed that they were located properly. As another member on this board suggested, I turned the neurostimulator completely off, and the neurologist even tried out different settings and along different paths on the leads to no avail. There were no changes at all. I hate to think that the leads caused the havoc. I should mention that I am one of those individuals that cannot tolerate Parkinson’s medications, of which I had tried seven (including various dosages) to date. About my “less bothersome symptoms besides tremor” prior to the DBS surgery? I should say it was constant tiredness, lack of concentration and energy.

Within a month’s time after the DBS, however, I developed other symptoms such as dry mouth, drooping eyelids, shuffling gait, dizziness, stiffness of the leg muscles, and extreme anxiety. Swallowing, too, has become somewhat difficult. Just to reiterate, the disease seems to have bypassed the benefits of DBS and progressed quickly. And, yes, Parkinson’s does have a mind of its own; every morning seems to bring a new surprise.

I am sorry to hear of your own condition; let’s hope that medical science will find a cure in our lifetime. Thanks again for your input and the attached link; much appreciated.
Best wishes,

Jerry
2snowbells is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote