Thread: hobbies
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Jig saw puzzles

For those of you who think a jigsaw puzzle may be an option, I do them systematically. It helps me brain not get over stimulated. I need a large surface to do my system.

I start by sorting the pieces by color groups. As I do this, I collect all of the edge pieces.

Then I sort each color group by shape. There are 3 leaf clovers (3 outies, 1 innie), 4 leaf clovers, H's (alternating outie, innie, outie, innie), 1 outie with 3 innies, 4 innies and so on. This allows me to make each group smaller and limit my search to colors and shapes that are probables.

This system goes slow at first but the tempo of finding the right piece picks up quickly.

Plus, for us PCS'ers, I think the pre-sorting is good brain therapy. One of my other therapies was sorting out about 20 pounds of mixed screws, nuts, and bolts that I had collected over the years. I spent hours doing this in the early days. Clear plastic containers work best so you can see what is in each jar/container before you add another piece to it.

Sorting is a first step as a therapy. You pick up one random piece and decide which pile/container it goes in. Finding jig saw puzzle pieces is much more intense.

Anytime you have down time, find something to sort. Buttons, toy parts (my grandson's Strux parts) etc. You kill time and have a finished project at the end.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote