View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My heart hurts for you. I completely understand your frustration, fear and concerns. I don't have an answer as to whether this is normal progression, but have a suggestion for you... Find a brain injury support group in your area. They will be people that can support you, laugh with you, cry with you and HELP you become aware of great doctors in your area, as well as NOT great doctors.

It sounds to me like you're describing a lot of cognitive issues. Has he had cognitive testing (done by a speech therapist)? If not, I would highly recommend it. My husband has NOT had testing yet - we're working on dealing with some of the other overwhelming problems that cause him to feel so terrible he doesn't function for days on end. We both realize there has been cognitive damage (not as severe as you're describing) and he has begun using Lumosity website as well as other game sites. Check out Lumosity or one of the other brain training websites - I think it'll prove to be beneficial.

I believe a brain injury causes hairline fractures (even though not necessarily visible on MRI or CT scan). Our physical therapist said essentially he needs to "re-wire or re-train" his brain to help compensate for the cognitive issues, just as he has to practice to re-learn the balance and coordination issues.

Always remember - take care of YOU too.

Peace and grace to you...
Amy
AllAmericanAmy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote