Thread: Colitis
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 12:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I highly recommend yogurt, or any means by which you can increase the good bacteria in your gut. A course of antibiotics can clean all the good bacteria out of your gut, and replenishing them can help. And watch the sugary drinks; even Gatorade contains a lot of sugar which can increase frequency.

Do not let your symptoms continue too long. If your current gastroenterologist does not seem to have a plan, get a second opinion. I don't want to scare you, but I fired a whole gastro group when they neglected to treat my colitis, leading to the removal of everything from the appendix to the a.nal sphincter. (They wouldn't discuss probiotics, diet, or alternative treatments at all!) So I am serious when I say you want someone who will treat this aggressively. Asacol (mesalamine) does not work for everyone. I hated it. I now use Pentasa to try to suppress inflammation in my small intestine, which is all I have left. I had an ileostomy for a year, but have lived with a j-pouch for almost 9 years now.

I wish you healing. I know of many folks who have beat colitis and have gone on to live healthy lives without much trouble. I wish I could back up time and find a different doctor . . .
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (09-06-2011), SallyC (09-06-2011)