View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 11:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

HI njmama

Despite undergoing more EMGs in six months than the average person sees in a lifetime, I am not a total expert at these things; but both my Utah neuro and the Mayo neuro did their own EMGs. This, after the local spine guy had done an initial one. Seems they all want to see things for themselves. And perhaps all EMGs are not created equal. So don't be surprised if you get that pleasure all over again. For one thing, the first one might not cover specific stuff the neuro might want to look at.

I can also say that the Mayo didn't even look at the MRIs that I took with me--they did 'em all over again. And the EMG they did lasted for *four hours*. Can't say they're not thorough! Apparently MMN has some unusual EMG features.

Fasciculations are often an indicator that something is awry with the nervous system, so I think you are doing the right thing in going to the neurologist. Again, don't be afraid to ask questions or seek a second opinion. The first neurologist I saw (in 2005) was the one who assured me there was nothing wrong. I clung to his opinion for five years, until I had to admit there was indeed something going on. If I'd pursued it, I may have been able to prevent the loss of function in my left hand. Or maybe not.