View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 04:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuused905 View Post
apparently sid had a vestibular concussion. a lot of his symptoms were related to the inner ear. they're trying to bring back his visuo-spatial functioning. they expect him to return to 100% health.

according to neurosurgeons Michael Collins and Ted Carrick (both who were at today's press conference), "after he comes back, there will be no evidence that a concussion ever occured".

i've heard people post on here that "once concussed, always concussed", but i think that Drs. Mickey Collins' and Ted Carrick's words carry more weight.

don't give up. you all will get better.
I'm not sure the docs went that far in their response to the question about the risk of future concussions. If I remember correctly, Dr. Collins basically said that if Crosby waits until he's 100% before returning to the game, his risk of future concussions/complications would be significantly reduced. He implied that problems can arise when athletes return to play too soon. But he didn't say that Crosby's risk would be that of someone who had never sustained a concussion in the first place (and frankly, I doubt whether this is true).

Similarly, Dr. Carrick suggested that they could get Crosby's vestibular system working as well as it did prior to the injury (possibly even better, which I also found hard to believe), but - again, if I recall correctly - he didn't comment directly on the risks associated with a subsequent hit to the head.

One thing I found interesting was the talk about all the therapy and rehabilitation that Crosby has been undergoing in order to help him recover. This seems to contradict the prevailing idea that healing from a concussion simply requires time and rest. I would be interested to hear what therapies and exercises he's been doing to ameliorate his symptoms.

In a weird way, I found it encouraging that he's still dealing with headaches. If he can be at month 9 and still be coping with headaches, *and* his doctors are predicting a full recovery - well, that's good news, in a roundabout way.
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote