View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 04:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne C. View Post
Is there a reason that you can't take miralax? It would seem to be much safer than enemas.
I am severly constipated due to Neurotin and I may as well take nothing as to take Miralax. I took it for several weeks with no luck whatsoever. I also take 500-800mg of Magnesium chelate daily which also doesn't give me any help with this problem. My doctor prescribed Lactolose (sp) and it was supposed to really work well but with me it just caused lots of gurgling and nothing else. It is kind of nasty but it might be worth a try if your doctor will give it to you. Everyone is different so it may work for you even though it didn't for me.

As I'm sitting here writing this I do remember what finally worked for me but it's not something you would want to do all the time. It's Magnesium Citrate (saline laxative oral solution) found at drug store in laxative section and it's a liquid. A nurse told me doctors use this to clean out patients before they do some tests. MrsD can probably tell you more about it and give you her thoughts on the subject. I only took it once (i took the whole bottle) and it worked within about 4 hours but I was up all night because I took it too late. If you take this I would suggest 1/2 the bottle to start then adjust accordingly. It's also very cheap.

Good luck and if you find another alternative I would be grateful if you would post it.
norahs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote