Thread: Supplements
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 03:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Your B12 level is low, no matter what the "normal" range is on the test protocol. You need high levels of B12 to cope with or heal from neuropathy. There's a lot of research behind that statement. You can check for yourself by Googling "methylcobalamin peripheral neuropathy": http://www.google.com/search?q=methy...en-US:official . Give less credence to sites trying to sell you something.

If you're over 50, or vegan, or take an acid neutralizer you are not getting enough B12 and need to supplement, preferably with 1 mg (that's 1000 mcg) daily. If you're under 50, a carrion eater, and have the stomach of steel, you aren't absorbing the B12 you're eating, so you need to supplement. Oral B12 builds blood levels of B12 as efficiently as injected B12. Retest results in a few months should have a level above 1200, else you have something wrong with your B12 processing, possibly liver based. Read Rose's postings in the "Sticky" section for the most authoritative word on the subject in these forums.

Why are you supplementing with dolomite? It has the Ca and Mg in the wrong ratio, 1 to 1. The correct ration is 2 to 1. Also as a deep mined mineral, dolomite is often contaminated with lead, arsenic, etc. Again, look to the "Sticky" section for more information on supplements. People tend to be low on both calcium and magnesium, especially as we age, so some supplementation is a good idea. Be sure to supplement with at least 400 iu. of vitamin D daily so that your body can utilize the calcium it takes in.

Why are you supplementing with zinc? The multivitamin should have all you need.

Good diet is as important as exercise, a positive mental outlook, and dealing with other medical issues (such as diabetes, chronic infections, cigarette or alcohol addiction). See the "Sticky" section for diet recommendations.

Even with a good diet, some supplementation can be useful for most of us. I take a load of supplements, probably most of which aren't really needed. If I had to pick only a few, B12 and B-complex would head the list, followed by absorbable Ca-Mg complex, vitamin D, and fish oil. I eat a really good diet, but I'm 64, and take a daily acid blocker (Aciphex) so I'm probably not absorbing or digesting optimally.