View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 06:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=EE03;803935]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshorty View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------

To me, they feel like strong electrical shocks. The worse thing is that they are random. I don't have any idea when it is going to happen nor do I have any control over it. To me, they seem more episodic than constantly going. The best way I can describe as what part of the face is the cheek/jaw area, sorry if I can't describe it right, I am kind of at a lost with this right now..[/Q

My shocks are random and I can't always tell what sets them off. One day I can take of sip of coffe, the next it occurs while I'm eating, and then it just happens for no obvious reason, at least to me, and other times it goes off because my expression has changed. Over the years I've just accepted that it happens when it happens. Control is way beyond my grasp. Be thankful that your MRI doesn't show anything. These are done to rule out other causes such as tumors and MS, etc...and if nothing showed, thats good. The doctors still feel that most cases of TN are caused by compressions by veins and arteries to the nerve in the brain stem. There are supposed to be some MRI's that can detect these, but those are not common(whether its the machine or software and use of dyes, I don't know, I just know that not every place has them). It sounds like your pain is traveling along the path of the fifth cranial nerve. If you google the nerve, you'll get images that further define the areas served by it and that can give you a frame of reference. Did you see a neurologist? If not, I'd suggest that you get an appointment with one and discuss this with them. If it is TN, there are medications that can help with the pain. Hang in there.

I need to make an appt. with a Neurologist soon. While I am grateful that nothing such as tumors or MS showed up on my MRI, I still have a whole bunch of questions to ask and not enough answers. I also forgot to add that it has caused me to twitch, not in every episode, but some. I am not sure if that narrows it down alittle more, but it was just something I forgot to add.
Jshorty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote