View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 01:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default autoimmune neuropathy gluten

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiafriend View Post
I was wondering what autoimmune diseases can cause neuropathy and if a person were to have an autoimmune disease does that make them suceptible to get other ones added on?
I have a non-specific autoimmune disorder, they think it might be Sjorgens. I also have peripheral neuropathy, autonomic neuropathy, POTS, and unexplained weight loss (I'm down to 88 lbs). I have severe joint and muscle pain and have been in and out of wheelchairs etc. for the past 8 years.

Long story short the doctors don't know where the disorders cross over and what symptoms are due to what disorders.

In May 2011 I went on a gluten free diet at the suggestion of my family doctor. I have noticed a marked improvement in the pain, energy level and a lot less nausea. I have been reading several medical articles that are finding links between gluten sensitivity, auto immune reactions and neuropathy. I'm hoping the gluten free diet really is helping and I'm not just coincidentally in one of my "better" periods.

The articles I have read think the gluten response is similar to proteins utilized in the nervous system which then leads to neuropathies and other neurological responses.

I hope this helps!
scigal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (05-30-2012), ItsWonderfulLife (09-13-2011), Karenlu (07-10-2012)