View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 04:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation follow up re Mayo Clinic

One huge word of caution: the Mayo Clinic is a large organization and in order to assure that the same patient seeing any one of many doctors would - in theory - get the same diagnosis, has apparently adopted some fairly rigid standards under which a clinical diagnosis of RSD can be made. (At least that's one explanation.)

As a result, if you are not presenting with a "classic" case, e.g. differential tempratures, redness, sweating, swelling etc., they may not make a finding of RSD, even though your home town pain doctor has already managed to get you great relief with sympathetic blocks. That screwed me up with my disability carrier for a couple of years until my symptoms progressed to the point that (1) Robert J. Schwartzman, MD saw me in Philadelphia and produced a very detailed report saying that I in fact had RSD and (2) I went back to the Mayo Clinic where I was seen by someone outside of the whole pain treatment network and he was able to make a diagnosis of RSD, along with the things I was seeing him for, and that ended the discussion.

So, if there are any issues of public or private disability coverage and your RSD has "unique" aspects, I would give it a second thought before going to the Mayo Clinic.

Put it another way, all things considered, you might want to be in Philadelphia.

Mike
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote