View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Wainright also stresses the importance of posture and bearing and suggests that for one week you stand straight, tuck in your stomach, hold your head high, and smile at those you meet. Based on many such experiments, Wainwright predicts you will begin to be treated with more warmth and respect and start attracting more people to you.
Okay, on the chuckle side, since this is posted to the Parkinson's disease forum:
This quote is great...especially the part about "the importance of posture and bearing," which all PWPs have...right
Let's see, then there is the "for one week you stand straight"...no more stooping...
"tuck in your stomach, hold your head high"...I don't know if my neck can still do that anymore
"and smile"...can I still do that..."at those you meet." But, they don't know I am smiling. My mother still tells me, "smile, you look like you're frowning." For some reason she still hasn't gotten it that I don't smile well anymore... Heck, every time Dr. Shulman evaluates me, with the eagle eye of hers watching every tiny movement I make or don't make, one of the notes she makes is when I think I'm smiling...but NOT!

Well, seriously, it is all true. In addition to my good looks and bearing, I find that knowing much about your illness/disease is also beneficial. The majority of doctors that I know today find it to be a good thing that I know what I know about medical stuff. To the ones that are shocked, I simply say, "It is my disease, isn't it my job to know all I can know about it."
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote