View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear01 View Post
Thanks to all! My dr wants me to take 2 to 4 weeks off work and I'm not sure if I use fmla or short term dis...? I told him I'd have to think about it because we are starting a new registrations system on our computers and I need to be there for training. Needless to say he wasn't happy with me when I said that. I've been struggling at work with som many cognitive issues..making many mistakes. I'm worried about being fired for some of them or written up. I work as a registration rep at a hospital where there really isn't any room for errors. I'm having a hard time learning the new system...to much multi-tasking for me and I'm off balance. I'm under alot of stress so he put me on Paxil and now I'm a bit more off balance than I was before..I guess that is an affect from the med. So, I think I'm going to take my dr up on his offer, it's better than taking a chance on making more mistakes. I've never used fmla or short term dis in the 3 years I've been dx. If anyone has any experince with fmla or short term...please share. Thanks
Short term disability is usually an income replacement coverage, and if your employer (or you) have this in place, it would at least replace a portion of your lost wages while you are off work.

On the other hand
Quote:
The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave.
You can learn more about FMLA leave here: http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

In most cases you would use both ... one for protecting your job and benefits, and the other for income while you are out.
"Thanks for this!" says:
carebear01 (09-12-2011)