View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 10:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Rick-

Hubby got TBI from one injury (downhill skiing Jan 2011).

I read some of your other posts and thought I'd say....

The eye blurring my hub also has. His eye dr. could tell his left eye was not tracking properly so hub has a prism on the left lens that helps some.

Physical Therapy started 10 days ago - they are working with him on balance issues primarily, but ALSO doing eye exercises, etc to help. His left eye "shimmies" sometimes when he is trying to visually track something. Was explained to us that the right eye is dominate and sends the info to the brain which passes info to the left eye --- that process is slowed down now due to brain damage, so the left eye is dragging.

Visually tracking objects - playing video games - eye exercises will all help to some degree.

The "fog" you complain of was helped by Zoloft (as were terrible headaches).

You asked if the MRI will show damage in eye or ear canal. No, but hub just finished a test with the Ear/Nose/Throat dr which I saw you had been referred to also.

They did several tests (took about an hour) testing his hearing and response time, etc. They were able to rule OUT any physical damange and, in their professional opinion, the damage is to the brain stem. They base this on the fact that one of the tests had clicking in ear - they track the sound to the brain stem, which then relays it to different parts of your brain (all of which they can track).

They have "normal" times for sound to arrive at brain stem and then process out. Hub is considerably below normal times. That is why it takes longer for things to process (sound, visual, etc) - as well as why fatigue is such a factor with a TBI.

Incidentally, we are hoping the tests from the ENT will help us with our private insurance long-term disability claim (they are procrastinating - haven't denied us or anything). The ENT said the tests he performed were conclusive and showed damaged processing that could NOT be faked. Maybe these tests could help others prove a claim with Governmental disability? Dunno

Sorry for the long post - hope some of it helps you!
Amy
AllAmericanAmy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote