View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 03:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the very useful link and the info!

If my doctor doesn't want to test me for these, I will find one who will. I just don't want to leave any stone unturned at this point. I want to make sure that the B-12 problem isn't just the tip of the iceberg. And above all, I want to feel better!

Can B-12 deficiency or gluten problems be implicated in chronic pain syndrome? I DON'T have fibromyalgia, but it seems like my back, neck, and shoulders always hurt and takes forever to feel better. And recently I developed a problem with my big toe joint that is also taking a very long time to heal. It seems that I feel pain very acutely, and when I feel it for more than a few days in a row, I wind up getting very depressed from it. So I wonder if there is some biological reason for this, other than "you don't have enough seritonin."

I'm a person who likes to watch the show "Mystery Diagnosis" because I keep wondering if I'll stumble upon a cure for these annoying problems I keep having with pain and depression.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--be sure to have them titer your anti-gliadin IgG and IgA (the former is the most sensitive, but least specific test to see if you are making antibodies to gluten, and is often associated with non-celiac gluten sensitivity); the anti-transglutaminase IgA and IgG (the first being the most closely associated with celiac that would have progressed to the point of degeneration of intestinal villi); and total IgA (some people have deficiencies in this and it skews the result of the other tests).

There are some more advanced tests in the pipeline that are supposed to be more specific, but I've yet to see them appear at standard labs. The Gluten File discusses this, and lots of other things--it is an excellent resource:

http://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/

Many of us develop absorption problems as we age--you may not have any gluten problems and may be suffering from lack of intrinsic factor to break B12 out of food, and that should be investigated as well.
zeeclass6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote