View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default new and confused

First, I just want to say to all those suffering from this monster (whether patient or family/friend support) your endurance, strength, and knowledge is amazing. I have spent a long time reading your stories looking for hope and I have ended up feeling more confused and scared than ever. Please don't take that the wrong way, I will do my best to explain what I mean and I can only pray someone out there can help.

I was diagnosed with RSD 7 months ago. I am (was) a package car driver for UPS and I am used to working in pain. Understand, I am not boasting, I am stubborn and proud. At the time I went to the ER I weighed 104lbs.(5'1) the pain became too much to bare and proving I could do the job like any of "the guys" was becoming a childish state of mind I needed to get over. I spent 4 hours in the ER to find out I had fractured my left foot. First they asked me if I ever fractured my foot before...Not that I was aware of...then they told me I fractured the sesamoid bone in the bottom of my foot and the discoloration, swelling and burning sensation was a result of the fracture. I have a healed fractured as well, though they did not tell me where in my foot that was. My podiatrist suggested RSD...XRAY,MRI,BONE SCAN, later I went a neurologist who performed an EMG. Found nerve damage and diagnosed me with CRPS II.

Question 1:

Is having such traumatic injuries and not knowing it a symptom of RSD?

I won't go into all the ridiculous medical details of the last 7 months, I am sure most of you have been there and done that. My pain is like an electrical storm or being attacked by mosquitos. It has gone from my left foot to both legs and arms. My neurologist put me on Topamax, Tramadol, and Percocets and that I could go back to work when "I" feel better. Anytime I can't get out of bed for a day she has said I did it to myself and pushed myself too much.

Question 2:

Is she right, am I hurting myself more by doing housework or working on the cars?

I am feeling weaker and so stiff, like I'm stuck in cement all the time and sleep is hard to come by, I fight this by forcing myself to get up and walk through the pain or do something around the house. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. As I explained in the beginning, I am not one to sit, I solve the problems....I fix the leaky sink...I change the oil in the car...hell, I even put a roof on our house because we couldn't afford a roofer. For the first time in a long time I am faced with a problem I don't know how to fix.

Question 3:

Is this stiffness another symptom or a byproduct of my behavior?

To anyone who takes the time to read this...I apologize for the length and appreciate your consideration. I am starving for answers and would be grateful for any information.

Thank you.
Darcy
darcy2410 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote